Education is without a doubt the most prized possession one can own in this era of technology and advancement. It is only fair for students of all socio-economic background to get the education they deserve. To secure a lifelong financial gain, build a life for oneself and to make a mark in today’s workforce, a college degree is critically important.
With the passion to graduate and get a degree, comes some financial difficulties that almost half the Indian population face. A study done on the education trends in India indicate that about 44.1 million students aged 18-24 cannot afford higher education. With a lack of government-aided colleges, students have no choice but to enrol in a private institute where the fee is high.
India continues to be a supplier of skilled manpower through students opting certificate courses and short term diploma. A student loan is another major concern of the decade. With education becoming a costly affair with each passing semester, scholarships have become a need of the hour. With a little financing from companies and organizations, students can opt a major and graduate from college. Along with funding education for candidates, scholarships through companies promote education. The fund generated by CSR(Corporate social responsibility) is widely used by these companies on education for the needed. Many companies have taken responsibility to help students for higher studies in recent years. The aim of companies providing scholarships is to create a diverse and well-educated workforce. The more educated candidates there are, the better it is for the company and the community. It is a great way of giving back to the community that supports their business. Providing scholarships for high education is in a way, investing in your workforce. It is a great step towards erasing the lines between students wanting higher education and employees.
Here are a few scholarships that students can avail for higher education
- Colgate scholarship – The keep India smiling foundational scholarship program focuses on extending a helping hand to the less fortunate by providing scholarships to pursue their dreams. It helps the deserving and the meritorious students get one step closer to success. They offer three main types. One for class 11, the other for graduation or diploma and another for UG courses/engineering. The scholarship amount for class 11 is INR 20,000 per year for two years. The scholarship amount this foundation offers for graduation and diploma courses is INR 30,000 for 3 years( for 3 years degrees). For UG courses and engineering, the amount offered is INR 30,000 per year for 4 years. The criteria for eligibility is annual family income must be less than 5 lakh and the student must be enrolled in a recognized institution. What’s more, is they also offer scholarships for vocational courses and sportspersons. This scholarship is open for Indian nationals only.
- L&T Build- India Scholarship– This scholarship is offered for engineering students who want to pursue a masters degree in a technical field. This is a purely merit-based scholarship. An online test is conducted followed by an interview. A stipend of INR 13,400 is paid and the tuition fee is subjective to the institution. The academic criteria include a bachelor’s degree in engineering with an aggregate of 60%. This can be applied by filling an online form on the company’s website.
- Bharat petroleum scholarship for higher studies– The Bharat Petroleum Corporation Scholarship for higher studies is organized by the Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL). BPCL invites the applications from the eligible candidates for Bharat Petroleum Corporation Scholarship. This scholarship is for Indian students who want to pursue their post-graduation in India or Abroad. Candidates must have 60% aggregate in a bachelor’s degree. The maximum age is 25 year or less to avail of this scholarship.
- Ratan Tata Scholarship for Master’s degree– This scholarship is a huge relief for Indian students who have dreams of studying abroad in the US or UK. They have ties with many global institutions over the world. The student must have an excellent academic record. This scholarship amount can be used for tuition fee only. Preference will be given to the qualified students, who have been accepted to the College of Engineering; College of Architecture, Art and Planning; majors across colleges in the Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, other Hard Sciences and Social Sciences; and Applied Economics and Management major. One can apply by visiting their website and filling out an application and providing the essential documents to be considered for this scholarship.
- Fair and lovely scholarship for girls- This is a CSR initiative for Hindustan Unilever Limited(HUL) to encourage female education in India. It encourages underprivileged girls from all backgrounds to have a fair chance at education. Women from the age group 15-30 can avail this scholarship. Applicants must be applying for/pursuing UG/PG studies at a government-recognized institution in India. Annual family income of the female applicants must be less than INR 6,00,000. Scholarship amount ranges from INR 25,000 to INR 50,000. The eligible courses are graduation courses, post-graduation and also coaching classes for banking classes and UPSC exams.
- Santoor Scholarship Program- This program is an initiative of Wipro consumer care. Launched in 2016-17, the program offers support to 900 students every year, across the states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Telangana. This program covers tuition fee and all the other incidental expenses. Over the last year, around 2700 students have received support with this program. Along with profession courses, it is also available for students who want to pursue a degree in liberal arts, humanities and other professional courses.
Scholarships are a great initiative for helping students ease off high student loans. Unlike a student loan, scholarships do not have to be paid back. It ensures the welfare of millions of students who want to chase their dreams into reality and prove useful for the country. With more brands offering scholarships, it is also promoting education and the limitless opportunities the youth have.